It’s been full of ups and downs. Mostly downs because when you feel like you are nothing but a little seedling that has yet to crack open, it is hard to imagine what that one day will feel like when your trunk has finally grown solid and strong and has soared to heights that was only imagined.
There are many “grown trees” in the forest, which sometimes feels like a jungle. But, it’s just a matter of finding those trees, planting yourself near them, and hopefully with their help, the seedling will also grow into a strong, abundant, thriving, tree.
I think by now, you know that my analogy relates to my experience so far. But this is what it feels like to be surrounded by authors who make it look so easy and effortless. They make the process look like magic. They write a book, publish, and bam they’re making lots of green! My experience has not been like that. Don’t get me wrong, it hasn’t been a bad experience at all, in fact it has been eye opening and I hope to one day reach the skies with my branches too like so many successful authors who have paved the way, but for now I’m still trying to figure this out. But I believe that the sky is limitless and there’s plenty of room at the top. I’ll get there too
Here’s what I want to share with you if you are thinking about going into self-publishing:
- Write, write, and write some more. This is your product. Make sure it is top quality. There are lots of bad material out there and you don’t want to get pooled with that group.
- This is not an easy business. There is lots to learn. Be patient and be flexible. Mistakes will be made, but the important thing is to find the lesson within the mistake.
- Make sure that you learn as much as you can about INTERNET MARKETING. Because whether you like it or not, if you are a self-published author you are also an internet marketer. (This has been my biggest stumbling block.)
- Learn about e-PUBLISHING and what it takes to publish your work on the very many platforms that are now available to authors.
- Find groups and forums that will help support your journey. There is wealth of knowledge out there and I’ve found that the author community is very giving and helpful. Check Twitter and Facebook for these groups.
- Invest wisely. Seek out resources. You won’t be able to do everything yourself. Eventually you will need assistance and there are lots of freelancers out there who are more than capable of delivering to you what you need. Figure out where you want to invest your time and money.
Alrighty then! Till the next time